Contributors

About my blog...

Although this blog was created for a World History project, it also has an effect on me & my family. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, my father, Orlando Rojas Ramos, fled his home country of Cuba in 1962. He left his family, friends, & life behind in hope to find a bigger a better future. While his experiences shaped the person that I know & love today, I will never be able to fully comprehend what it is like to be forced away from everything I know. The intensity & the sacrifices that he made at that time will forever be imprinted in his memories in every moment of every day. Therefore, this blog is also dedicated to my dad, Orlando Rojas. I love you.

Throughout this blog, I will attempt to touch upon some of agricultural effects the Post-Revolution had on Cuba.

21.4.09

February 6 of 1960: The Sugar Compromise...

February 6, 1960, The Soviet Union agrees to buy five million tons of sugar over five years. They also agree to support Cuba with oil, grain, and credit.



"The sugar industry-always a parasitical growth-has never been able to pay its expenses with its own resources in normal times. It depended on slavery for its prosperity in former times and now the masked slavery of the West Indian laborers is unable to save it. Some sort of economic euthanasia is needed for industries which have developed into monstrosities as is the case with Cuba's sugar industry."
- Herminio Portell Vilá, Hispanic American Historical Review, 1932


Sugar was Cuba's primary source of control because they had such a large quantity of it. The funny thing is, is the fact that Castro so promptly made this promise to the Soviets; he knew everyone else in Cuba would be cultivating for them, not him. This picture is not of the Post-Revolutionary time in Cuba, but even further back to the African slave trade, which lasted over three centuries (Sierra).

0 remarks: